Style and Design
Usability

I purchased a Garmin inReach from a local store, and upon registering the IMEI on their website and paying for service setup (on top of the device purchase), i took it outside to connect to the satilite per the instructions. Mind you, i stood in an open area with a clear view of the sky, a field the size of four football fields.

For an hour. It didnt work. I called Garmin the next day. I was told i couldnt get my money refunded.

"You pressed the purchase button" says the Garmin rep. "Yeah no *** dude. When i was under the impression the device would work and save my life potentially, yes, i did press purchase. However that is not the case." Michael G from Garmin: "I can only refund you the 14.95 for the service, not the 24.95 for the satilite signal.

We deal with a 3rd party company so they cant refund us so we can refund you." Me: How do you retain anybodys business then? Its a simple business move that would cost the (multi million dollar) company next to nothing, to ensure a happy customer. You take care of my needs now and i buy again on the future, perhaps a higher-end product. But of course its a 3rd party, nobody these days - including corporations - wants to take respobsibility for their actions or mistakes.

Michael G at Garmin: "so do you want the 14.95 or not?" Me: "Sure, lets start with that..." Michael G at Garmin: "Thats what i thought!" Me: (ARE YOU FOR REAL RIGHT NOW DUDE!?! THATS WHAT YOU THOUGHT...? WHERE DOES CUSTOMER SERVICE COME INTO PLAY HERE?! Glad to know Garmin employs total smartasses.) Michael G from Garmin: "Well we would have troubleshooted it for you" Me: "Youre missing the point here, if I have to troubleshoot a device right out of the box, and can't get a signal in the middle of four soccer fields, why in the *** would i want to take it miles and miles into the deep backcountry with me????

Your company is advertising a life saving product and you can't stand behind it fot 24.95 is what i got out of this conversation." To top it all off, he charged me 30.00 (no refund) for the satilite signal (that didnt even work to begin with) and an extra random 1.00 charge that debited from my account out of nowhere. Still have not gotten the refund for the 14.95. What a bunch of clowns.

Mind you, this is not alot of money, i get that, this is a matter of principal for me. Ever heard that saying "you never know who you're talking to?" Well unfortunately for Michael G at Garmin, I'm a coprorate sponsored climber, have 3 athlete pro deals and working on a 4th, own 2 outdoors companies, and have over 12,000 contacts in the outdoors industry in the Pacific Northwest, and i will be letting everyone know how i feel about this sad excuse for a company and customer service.

Review about: Garmin Customer Care.

Reason of review: Return, Exchange or Cancellation Policy.

Comments